I Am My Best With You People

"I was my best with you people."

Dean Heida says this quote from 'The Big Chill' in her speech to the incoming students and parents. It became our saying throughout SOAR. How true that statement is.

A good friend and previous SOAR leader told me it was the best job at Berry. I heard, "I LOVE SOAR", from Rebecca so often, but I didn't think that would be true for me. How wrong I was. I do LOVE SOAR and it is the best job at Berry for so many reasons. I'll limit my list to the top tree.

3. As SOAR leaders we not only welcome the students but the parents as well. We like to say they are also a part of the Berry family. I love hearing parents say they know Berry is the right fit for their son or daughter. Who knows these incoming students better than their parents? It is crucial they allow their student to discover who they are. The first step is to let them go and that process starts at SOAR.

2. We have the unique opportunity to welcome the newest members of the Berry family. I love finding out what each incoming student is passionate about. I love watching friendships form between incoming students and with SOAR leaders. When we say, "Can't wait to see you in August", we mean it. 

1. It might sound cheesy, but I really am my best with you people. What do I mean by you people? The incoming students and families, the administration at Berry who cares so much about the students and campus, Dean Bumpus who is the bomb, and mostly my fellow SOAR leaders. I learned so much from you and I hope you learned something from me. I had so much fun bonding with each of you, even if it was well into the night/early morning. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. 

Our team is a puzzle. Each person has something different to offer and when put together we create a high-performance and beautiful group of people. I love quoting the skit and laughing about what we messed up on. I love how we make fun of each other for our quirks, laughs, place of residence, and injuries. I love going on hiking/swimming adventures with you all. I love singing karaoke with you. I love eating [a lot of food] with you. Mostly, I just love you guys. Thanks for SOARing with me and being better than the best team I could ever imagine. 

Comments

Popular Posts