Praying for Trump

Our nation is divided and many are fearful of what the next four years hold. Take one look at the President-elect's Twitter and you can see why. 
(Someone really needs to take away his Twitter)

Since it was announced that Donald Trump will be our next president, people have had strong, opinionated reactions. I have quite a few of my own opinions, but I am going to try my best to keep them out of this post. 

The reactions posted to social media from both liberal and conservative fronts have been extremely disappointing. The man himself does not divide us. 
No, Trump is not the one dividing this nation and spreading fear. He may be the main topic of the conversation, but it is we the people who are spreading hate to our fellow citizens. 

I voted differently from a number of close friends and family members, but that does not cause me to love them any less and vice versa. We had differing opinions on what each candidate could offer our country (both positive and negative). 

Love your neighbor as yourself (Matt 2:39) is the second greatest commandment and we would do well to follow it.

As I am writing this, Ben Rector's song More Like Love is playing through my headphones. Completely by accident, but a perfect summation of what this nation needs. Click on the link and listen. We don't have to be right, but we are called to love. Especially those who are hard to love.

My friends, Donald Trump is hard to love. Again, reference his Twitter and many quotes.
But whether you like it or not (and I mean that literally because I know some people who despise it and some who love it), he is going to be our president soon. It is my job as a Christian and citizen to pray for our president and other leaders. I want Trump to be a good president for our nation. I pray he uses wisdom and discernment and stays out of education.

"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you...If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them." Luke 6:27-28; 32

Love those who have different opinions and values from you. Love the hard to love. Love the person who speaks hate.

I am not saying that Trump is your enemy, but I am saying he is going to be your president. Life goes on. Try to understand why someone voted differently from you instead of automatically labeling them and deciding to hate them. 

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of the foolish men. Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king." 1 Peter 2:13-17 NASB

Love your neighbor and pray for our nation and the leaders of it.

Comments

Popular Posts