Begin with Grace

Yesterday I was reading Let's All Be Brave by Annie Downs and she was describing how difficult it is to start something. She was encouraging the reader to grab hold of the courage God has planted inside of them and begin.

How appropriate it is to start a new year with the encouragement to begin, start a journey, start over, follow that dream. Appropriate and terrifying.

I am not a brave person, which is one reason I am reading this book (and I love Annie!). I am cautious, I analyze everything, and I am afraid. My fear of failure and being hurt often drive my thoughts and actions. 

I am forced to face these fears everyday as I constantly mess up or someone else does. We are broken people bound to fail, say the wrong thing, and hurt those we love. 

This past year, the Lord has been teaching me about grace and how to fight the lies of the Enemy. 

It was time to confront a lot of anger and bitterness that had been building in my heart for years. Things that had been placed there from years of believing in the lie that I am not enough and never will be. Years of criticizing myself and not giving grace.

Paul says in Galatians, "I have been crucifies with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose". (Gal. 2:20-21)

Not giving grace is to nullify the grace of God. The grace He has given us that frees us from sin and slavery. Christ didn't die for me to be bitter and accept the lies of the Enemy and remain as a slave to sin. 

In professing Christ as my Savior, I am professing my freedom and declaring my Father's glory.

I have no reason to fear. His perfect love has cast out fear. His grace has covered my sins.
God chose us, fought for us, and loved us when we were living in rebellion and he will continue to choose us, fight for us, and love us.

I need grace like I need air. God gives me grace and since I have been crucified with him and he lives in me, I need to give others grace. 

Granting grace to someone who has wounded your heart can be challenging. My flesh screams for justice and what is fair. God says to speak love over them, pray for them, and give them grace. 

To give grace is to glorify God, which is at the core of who He created us to be.

As we begin a new year, let us give grace in a world that clings to bitterness. 
Leave our fears behind and allow God's grace to shine through our weakness.

Comments

Popular Posts