Life As A Student Teacher

I am not living the normal college life right now. I wake up around 6am, leave my dorm around 7am, get to school at 7:20 am, and students enter my classroom at 7:45 am. I am at school until 3:15 or later each day. I sometimes have an hour to sit at Swift and Finch and get some work done in the afternoon before going to class or work. Other afternoons I have meetings or tutoring. I spend my Friday afternoons and Saturdays working on edTPA, lesson plans, classroom arrangements, or papers for class. Sundays, I go to church, eat lunch, spend the afternoon working on homework, go to community group, then go back to the dorm to go to sleep.

I'm not writing this so that you will feel sorry for me or to make you understand how busy I am. Yes, I am busy. Yes, I am exhausted. Yes, I am stressed out. 

But this is what I have been called to do.

And honestly, it has been hard to focus on loving my students while being busy, exhausted, and stressed out. But the Lord knows my heart. He knows I need encouragement and a reminder that I can do this.

Today, I received a handful of letters from my students apologizing for their behavior in my class. But they didn't just apologize. They encouraged me. I was told I was a good teacher, I was loved, and I should keep pursuing my dream of being a teacher. 

These letters mean so much to me because it is a boost of confidence from my students. I want to be a teacher because I can let someone know they are loved, they can achieve their dreams, and they can make an impact. I believe in teaching the basics as well as life lessons. 

I love history because there is so much to learn from our past that helps us make good decisions for our future. I love reading because you can go anywhere without leaving your seat. I love writing because you can create stories and ideas that inspire others. I love math because you can solve problems. I love science because you can explore the world around you and understand how things work. I love teaching because my students inspire me to achieve my dreams and make their world a little brighter. 

Comments

Popular Posts