Rest that Endures

Today I was thinking about how we don't have time to grieve in college. Life is busy. I have a test to study for and some lesson plans to finish. I don't have time to sit down and grieve. 

All I want to do right now is cry, but I can't because I have to get my work done. 
Then the thought popped into my head, "You will never have time to grieve". This is a partial lie. I can grieve even in the midst of writing lesson plans, studying for a test, or even writing this. But I will always be too busy if I continue to live my life in such a busy state. 

There are some things we cannot help, like tests or deadlines or fill in the blank. There are some things we can do something about, like volunteering for something when you are over extended or saying yes to every opportunity given. It isn't bad to volunteer or say yes to a few opportunities, but it is unhealthy to do too much. 

This is our plague. Business. Saying yes. Over-extending ourselves. 

Tonight I am in the midst of things I can't help and I am taking a short break by writing my thoughts. However, I am so guilty of saying yes and over-extending myself. And I get overwhelmed. Oh man, do I get so overwhelmed with the amount of things I have to do. And then, I shut down. I watch TV. I take stupid quizzes on Buzzfeed. I read about all that is happening in the world. I avoid my responsibilities when I am stressed in order to make the stress go away.

This does not achieve anything. What I should do is take my stress, my overwhelmed, over-extended mind and body to my Father. He tells me to bring my burdens to Him. 

"Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4:6-7

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." 
Matthew 11:28

David Crowder's song "Come As You Are" has become one of my favorites. It reminds me to "lay down my hurt and lay down my heart" because "earth has no sorrow that heaven can't heal".

Whether it be stress or grief or a bad day, I can always come to the Father. 
Stop being busy and rest in Him.

Comments

Popular Posts