Just A Glimpse

I remember being in children's choir in elementary school. My mom was the director, so I was always there. I always sat with my friend Lauren. We were inseparable at church from the nursery on up.

Lauren was not a fan of children's choir. She avoided it and tried to hide around the church, but her parents made her go every week. I enjoyed it because I loved to sing, though I was sometimes embarrassed by my mother. I didn't argue with Lauren's dislike for choir nor did I admit to liking it. I mostly helped her raise some cain and continued to sing. 

She complained most weeks that she did not like to sing. My mom's response never faltered, "In Heaven, we are going to be singing praises to God all the time. You might want to get used to it now". Give or take, that was pretty much what she would say. 

Sometimes I was embarrassed my mom chastised my friend and sometimes I was grateful for her honesty and truth. Looking back, she was speaking truth to us and being a wonderful teacher and I should have been grateful one hundred percent of the time.

Fast forward fifteen years and I am in college, sitting in a Campus Outreach meeting I didn't fully want to go to. It is always the meetings, worship services, monday night meetings, disciple nows my heart isn't into that I receive the most out of. Tonight was no different.

Ben spoke about Acts chapter 2 and the fulfillment of Jesus' promise of the Holy Spirit. I could try to explain it, but I do not possess the gift of writing to do justice to what I learned. 

Afterwards, the music team led us in a few songs and I glimpsed a few things. The first was that of the Holy Spirit filling the room as it did in Acts. Nowhere near that degree, but a taste. There were maybe 50 college students in the Underground and our voices just filled the room. That is where the second glimpse comes in. It was a glimpse of Heaven and singing with the angels before the throne of God. Just a chorus of people lifting their hearts up to our Father through singing. Praising His name and rejoicing in the gospel. It was beautiful and encouraging.

"For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16

Comments

  1. I read this last week, but wanted to come back to comment. The things you learn about your children and their childhood! Thank you for taking me on a trip down music memory lane. It makes me realize that you were listening, even though a bit embarrassed. I am thankful that you are at a place in your life that you praise God, when so many college students are struggling with what to do with their faith. I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts