Real or Not Real

In the Hunger Games series Peeta and Katniss play a game. 
No, not the Hunger Games.
Katniss helps Peeta to determine what is real and not real about life.

Peeta's mind has been conditioned by The Capitol to fear and hate Katniss. Slowly, Peeta starts asking her questions to figure out what was truth (real) and what was lies (not real).

Hopefully, I didn't ruin part of the book or movies for anyone, but this is a great illustration of how we come to God.

The world feeds us lies: you aren't enough, pretty enough, smart enough. You aren't worthy of being pursued or loved. Everyone believes different lies based on what the world has told them through their life experiences.

But, like Peeta, we aren't always sure what is real and not real. 

Am I worthy of being loved? Is that real, God?
"And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross." Colossians 2:13-14
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." John 3:16

God has shown us he loves us in so many ways.

Sometimes it feels as if I have 25 lies knocking me down at once. Often, it is just one big lie or several that are intertwined. 

I am pushed around by lies. But at first, I don't see them as lies. I see them as an inherent truth that I cannot change except through my own acts. Then, by His love and mercy, God begins to uncover this "truth" for what it really is: a lie. The Holy Spirit intervenes and reminds me of the real truth. The truth that will set me free from the lies I believe. The truth that is wrapped in the love of my Father and his Son and the grace of the Holy Spirit. 

"You love me. Real or not real?"
Real.

Comments

Popular Posts