Majorly Right

I am an Early Childhood Education major, but prior to coming to college I severely doubted my major choice. I was very concerned that God might have other plans for my life. Why? Because I doubted I would be a good teacher. I worried about lesson planning and not knowing what I am teaching and not knowing what to teach or how to teach it. 
So naturally, the Lord started showing me how wrong I am through various experiences and words of encouragement. Even as I am writing this and telling my friend Emily Jones about it, it is being affirmed that this is "what I was made to do". Emily's words as I write. Crazy.
I remember another friend, Emily Katherine Dalton, asking me my major over the summer. I told her and after knowing me for only a few days she said I would be a "super cute" teacher because of my facial expressions. This was only the beginning.
I helped my mother with a StoryTime Kindermusik and loved playing and dancing and singing with the kids. I remember mom telling me what a big help I had been.
And then came Berry and the Child Development Center (CDC). It is our preschool on campus and where I have been working since late August. I love every bit of it, even the bad days. My work supervisor and the teachers I work with are all incredible! The kids (I often refer to them as "my kids") are precious. They can be a handful and a pain, but I still love them at the end of the day. 
Little random side note. The other day one of my 3-year-olds asked me if potties go to Heaven. Yes, potties. This is just another reason why I adore these children.
Working at CDC has shown me how much I truly love children. They love uncontrollably and unconditionally. They are so quick to forgive and move past someone taking the big truck they wanted to play with. They trust you. It is amazing and precious and beautiful. It is a picture of how we should all act.
Okay, I'm kind of chasing squirrels and rabbits, but back to my point. God has shown me so much of how it is His plan and will and desire for me to be a teacher. 
Twice this year I have made the new bulletin board for my 4-year-old class. As I finished our Dr. Seuss themed board the other day, my teacher, Ms. Bruckner, complemented my work. She told me I have a gift for designing bulletin boards. To most people that means nothing; however, it means the world to me. Just another affirmation.
Through work and many, many, many instances of being told I look like a teacher, will be a good teacher, or am made to be a teacher, God has pushed my silly doubts away. We should never doubt what God has planned for us. If He has an alternate plan, He will definitely let you know and put you there. He has made Himself known through all my doubts and will continue to surpass all my expectations for the future. So, I'll end on this verse that is filled with so much truth.
"Do not worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hears and minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Our Dr. Seuss bulletin board. They each made their own Cat in the Hat.

I'm in Preschool Curriculum this semester, and I have to teach 5 lessons over the course of the semester. I have already done two and enjoy my lesson planning! This was our math lesson plan where we measure objects using Duplo legos and compared the sizes based on which object used more/less legos.

My first lesson, was doing a shared book experience. We did a picture walk of the story and made predictions about what would take place. Then, we read the "When the Doorbell Rang" and made real world connections. It helps to have a mom who has big books you can borrow!


Comments

  1. I think it's in your genes, and it helps to love children! Just remember that not only can you teach them, but they often teach you.
    I haven't told you this - but I have told several others - you would make a great Kindermusik teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts